Sunday, April 20, 2008

Grandma's meatloaf

My grandmother had a tradition she did with me and my siblings when we each turned 12. We had to know how to do basic mending and sewing. We also had to know how to read a recipe. She would then pull out her nice china and silver. Then we created a menu together (she and whichever of us she was working with). We did a seven course dinner where we had to set the table in proper formal settings. I wanted to make meatloaf. She found a recipe and then we altered it. This is now the recipe that she, my mom, and I each make. Enjoy!!

1 pound ground beef
1 package meat loaf seasoning
1 can tomato sauce
1 egg
5 hash browns, frozen
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

Combine egg, seasoning, beef, some tomato sauce in bowl. Separate into half.

Line pan with half of beef mixture. Place three hashbrowns in center. Cover with cheddar cheese. Pour more tomato sauce.

Place rest of meat on top. Use remaining tomato sauce over meat.

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

No comments: