Thursday, April 3, 2008

Glazed Ham with Dijon-Pineapple Sauce

I needed an easy ham recipe to make for Easter dinner. I'd never made a ham before and found this one. It was a HIT! Everyone loved it! My 5 year-old and 4 year-old kept taking slices of ham and eating them with their fingers instead of going after the desserts. It was also extremely easy. I did change a few things - I chose to cook it in a slow cooker instead to reduce the odds of it burning. I cooked it on low for 3 hours. I also poured the glaze over it at the beginning. It was really good and really easy.
1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup maple-flavored or pancake syrup
1/4 cup dijon mustard
1 whole fully cooked boneless ham (5 lb.)
Whole cloves
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 can (20 oz.) crushed pineapple in juice, undrained

PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Mix sugar, syrup and mustard until well blended; set aside. Score ham with sharp knife; insert cloves into ham as desired.

BAKE 2 hours or until ham reaches internal temperature of 140°F when tested in center with meat thermometer, brushing occasionally with 1/2 cup of the syrup mixture after 1-1/2 hours.
MIX remaining syrup mixture with cornstarch and pineapple with its liquid in saucepan; cook on medium-high heat until mixture comes to boil and thickens, stirring constantly. Serve with the sliced ham.

No comments: